- 1948 – Born North East England.
- 1971 – BA (Hons) Leeds University.
- 1986 – MA (Fine Art) NOTTINGHAM TRENT UNIVERSITY.
Visiting Lecturer – Exeter College of Art 1989 – 1992.
- 1991 – RESEARCH – DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY, UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD.
Exhibited “Wolfson 25” Wolfson College, Oxford.
Selected by Peter Paulumbo, Bridget Riley, David Elliot.
- 1993 – MA (Distinction) ART & PSYCOTHERAPY, UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD.
Visiting Lecturer – University of Plymouth.
PhD RESEARCH (PSYCHOANALYSIS & CREATIVITY) UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD.
- 1994 – PhD RESEARCH DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD.
- 1995 – TOURING EXHIBITION “RECENT PAINTINGS” LAUNCHED AT MIART ’95, MILAN
EXHIBITION “RECENT PAINTINGS” LAUNCHED AT “ARTISSIMA” TURIN.
Publication of “The Politics and Psychoanalysis of Primitivism” December ’95.
- 1996 – ONE MAN SHOW ART ’96, LONDON.
“RECENT WORK” REPRESENTED AT MIART ’96, MILAN
EXHIBITION: ART’S HIDDEN ORDER with ALAN DAVIE, BRIDGET RILEY etc AT MAPPIN GALLERY, SHEFFIELD.
Publication of “The Spiritual Unconscious Paintings & Drawing 1975 – 1995” with essays by Mel Gooding, Keith Patrick and David Maclagan.
EXHIBITION “RECENT PAINTINGS” AT BURTON STREET GALLERY, LONDON.
EXHIBITION “PAINTING 1975 – 1995” AT MAPPIN GALLERY, SHEFFIELD.
- 1997 – TOURING EXHIBITION AND LECTURE PROGRAM incl. Newcastle, Edinburgh, Milan, Venice, Los Angeles, New York, Dublin, London.
VISITING LECTURER. CENTRE FOR PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY, UNIVERSITY SHEFFIELD.
- 1998 – ONE MAN SHOW, UNIVERSITY GALLERY, UNIVERSITY OF NORTHUMBRIA AT NEWCASTLE.ONE MAN SHOW, STANLEY PICKER GALLERY, UNIVERSITY OF KINGSTON.
SPEAKER AT UNIVERSITY OF KINGSTON SYMPOSIUM “THE SPIRITUAL UNCONSCIOUS IN ART” with Donald Kuspit, Rene Gimpel, Mel Gooding et al.
VISITING LECTURER, SCHOOL OF ART, UNIVERSITY OF SUNDERLAND.
SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW, DEPT OF VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS, UNIVERSITY OF NORTHUMBRIA.
PAINTING TUTOR, THE ARTS GROUP, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, with Basil Beattie.
LECTURER / PAINTING TUTOR, SCHOOL OF FINE ART, UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE.
ONE MAN SHOW OF “RECENT WORK” REPRESENTED AT THE EDINBURGH FESTIVAL By special Invitation of The Demarco European Art Foundation.
SPEAKER AT KIRKUDBRIGHT ARTS FESTIVAL, with Professor Bryan Allyson and Ed Meneeley (New York)
VISITING PROFESSOR, UNIVERSITY OF NORTHUMBRIA AT NEWCASTLE.
SPEAKER AT ‘SCULPTURE AND THE DIVINE’ CONFERENCE AT WINCHESTER SCHOOL OF ART, with Brandon Taylor, Anthony Caro.
ONE MAN SHOW, ‘ETCHINGS AND PAINTINGS’ 1997 – 2000 UNIVERSITY GALLERY, UNIVERSITY OF NORTHUMBRIA AT NEWCASTLE.
MIXED SHOW “IMAGES OF WORKING CLASS LIFE”, VIKING GALLERY, JARROW.
PUBLICATION OF “PAINTING, PSYCHOANALYSIS AND SPIRITUALITY” by CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS (NEW YORK)
‘Etchings And Paintings’ 1997 – 2000 to travel throughout 2001: e.g. Duncan Jordanstone, Dundee, University of Plymouth, Exeter.
- 1999 – Visiting lecturer, Centre for Psychoanalytical Studies, University of Essex.
Publication of Guilt in Painting, in Art Criticism, Vol. 13, No.2, (State University of New York at Stony Brrok).
- 2000 – One-man show: Etchings and Paintings 1997-2000, University Gallery, Northumbria.
Mixed show: Images of Working Class Life, Viking Gallery, Jarrow, curated by Vince Rea, OBE.
Publication of Painting and Iconoclasm in Free Associations, Process Press.
Publication of catalogue: Etchings 1998-2000, Ziggurat, London, with essays by Mike Von Joel, Mike Wooton, and Professor Gerda Roper.
Publication of catalogue: Paintings and Drawings 1997-2000, catalogue essays by Donald Cuspit entitled The Post Modern Icon: Stephen Newton’s Post-Abstract Paintings, and Mike Von Joel, Ziggurat, London.
Speaker at Sculpture and the Divine conference at Winchester art school, with Brandon Taylor, Anthony Caro, Nicholas Pope, Keith Walker etc.
Elected Visiting Professor, University of Northumbria at Newcastle.
- 2001 – One-man show: Etchings and Paintings 1997-2000 , Cooper Gallery, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, University of Dundee.
Publication of Painting, Psychoanalysis and Spirituality , Cambridge University Press (New York, U.S.A.) Review of Artist and Identity in Twentieth-Century America by Matthew Baigell, Cambridge University Press, (2001) in Tema Celeste – Contemporary Art , No. 84. Review of Psychostrategies of Avant-Garde Art by Donald Kuspit, Cambridge University Press, (2000) in Tema Celeste – Contemporary Art , No. 90. Painting, Psychoanalysis and Spirituality reviewed in TLS (18.5.01) by Gavin Parkinson.
Publication of Why Women Can’t Paint , in Art Criticism , Vol. 16, No.2, (State University of New York at Stony Brook).
- 2002 – Painting, Psychoanalysis and Spirituality reviewed in Tema Celeste – Contemporary Art , No. 91, by Karen A.Levine and in the Journal of Consciousness Studies , Vol. 9, No.3 by Derek J.Smith. Also in the Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association , Vol. 50, No. 4, by Gilbert J.Rose.
- 2003 – Painting, Psychoanalysis and Spirituality reviewed in The Art Book , Vol. 10:1 by Adrian Lewis.
Speaker at the Art and Representations of Madness conference, School of Arts and Social Sciences one day Symposium, University of Northumbria at Newcastle.
Lecture tour with Professor Donald Kuspit: Centre for Psychoanalytic Studies, University of Essex at Colchester, Centre for Contemporary Art Research, University of Southampton, Nottingham Trent University.
Speaker at Writing Aesthetics , the Twenty-Seventh Annual Conference of The International Association for Philosophy and Literature, University of Leeds.
Co-editor with Professor Brandon Taylor of Painting, Sculpture and the Spiritual Dimension: The Kingston and Winchester Papers , Oneiros Books, London, (2003).
Publication of Sculpture and Ritual: The Role of Art in Transformation in Oneiros (2003).
- 2004 – Forthcoming exhibitions: joint tour with Basil Beattie.
- 2005 – One-man show: Etchings 1997-2000, Jesmond Dene House, Newcastle.
- 2006 – Publication of Ritual and the Creative Process: The Psychoanalysis of Trance-Formation, (State University of New York – eds Donald Kuspit, Susan van Scoy).
Publication of Why Women Can’t Paint in ‘State of Art’ (Winter 2006).
- 2008 – One-man show aSpace Gallery, Hastings College School of Art and Design.
Invitation to open the new Abbey Walk Gallery, Grimsby, NE Lincolnshire and to hold the inaugural one-man show Dec 2.
- 2009 – Publication of ART and RITUAL: A Painter’s Journey (Ziggurat, 2008) fully colour illustrated
- 2010 – ‘Re-source’ exhibition, Hastings College of Art and Design.
Mixed exhibition, Baker-Mamounova Gallery.
External course assessor, University of Hull.
Chair: Arts Council funded Nature of Landscape Conference.
Visiting Lecturer, University of Lincoln:
Public lecture, ‘Painting as Parallel Dimension’ 27.04.10.
- 2011 – Mixed exhibition ‘Out of the Darkness’ Abbey Walk Gallery, Grimsby NE Lincs.
Mixed exhibition 8-19th March, Surface Gallery Nottingham.
One-man show, ‘Life in Abstract’ 27th June – 8 August, Abbey Walk Gallery.
- 2012 – One-Man show Vyner Street Gallery, London.
Mixed exhibition: ‘Head and Whole’, Abbey Walk Gallery.
Speaker, ‘Head and Whole’ Conference.
One-Man show, London Art Fair, with Abbey Walk Gallery.
- 2013 – One-Man Show, London Art Fair, Islington, Stand G30, with Abbey Walk Gallery.
Mixed show, Winter exhibition, Abbey Walk Gallery, Grimsby.
- 2014 – One-Man show, ‘Life in the Abstract’, Studio Eleven Gallery, Hull, Yorkshire.
Public collections: Swindon Art Gallery, Rugby Art Gallery, Abbots Hall art gallery, Cumbria, Madison Museum of Fine Arts, Atlanta Georgia, U.S.A. London Art Fair, with Abbey Walk Gallery.
- 2014-15 Contemporary British Painting, Priseman-Seabrook Collection, Huddersfield Art Gallery.
PAINT BRITAIN, Ipswich Art Gallery and Museum.
- 2015 – London Art Fair, with Abbey Walk Gallery.
Retrospective Exhibition, Abbey Walk Gallery, Grimsby.
‘The Immediacy of Paint’, Ipswich Art Gallery and Museum.
London Art Fair, with Abbey Walk Gallery.
- 2016 – London Art Fair, with Abbey Walk Gallery.
One-man show, Olympus Art Project Gallery, Bermondsey, London.